Adapted from Joynear Duncan, education student at Alverno College and Museum summer 2014 Intern.
What did students think was “newsworthy” about the Of Heaven and Earth exhibition? Review highlights from your recent visit, and pull up the exhibition website if you need a reminder. As a class, generate key ideas related to the images and the exhibition experience. Have each student develop three newspaper headlines that spark interest and would encourage friends, family members, and strangers to attend the exhibition. Look at newspapers online, such as the Arts and Entertainment section of the Milwaukee Journal, or have a few print samples on hand to serve as examples.
Extend the activity by allowing students to write the article that would accompany their headline. Consider the following to make your story more engaging:
- What makes the exhibition important?
- What can people expect to see and experience at the exhibition?
- What did you find of greatest interest? What was most memorable?
- What could have been done better?
- Remember: Stories with an unexpected hook are a great way to draw the reader in!